Monday, December 15, 2008
In this business season we are out in public with our kids a lot. How can we make certain your children are safe and secure? What things can you do to feel at peace while shopping with your kids? As a mom of 4 I learned to teach them early what to do in scary situations.
1. Teach your child to wear an ID. Your child should wear a physical ID (ID Bracelet, Shoe ID Tag, Personalized Dog Tag) every time you go out. The ID should contain your cell phone number so if you are separated you can be reached
2. Teach your child "If Mommy is lost find another mommy with kids and show her your ID so she can call me
3. Teach them to stay put if you get separated. Wait with the mom they found in the location they lost you.
4. Teach them to be attentive. "What color is Mommy wearing today?"What is Mommy's other name?"
5. Play "What if?" Game - "What should you do IF Mommy is lost?"
6. Take a picture of your child with your cell phone as you start shopping. If a child is separated you want to provide a photo. Better yet carry a photo ID card of your child. Put an ID on your child's car seat too.
7. Keep all children under age 12 with you. Do not allow them to wonder away to look in different aisles while shopping. Where you go they should go. I teach my 8 yr old daughter to keep one hand on the cart.
Find more child safety & safe baby gear at http://www.mypreciouskid.com/