By Kay Green http://www.mypreciouskid.com/ Copyright 2004
You are going to Disneyland (or other vacation) with your children and want to make sure they are safe. We can help protect your children and give you peace of mind too. We have recently been linked on the http://www.wdwinfo.com/ Disneyland forum boards as a great product for Disneyland traveling families. Below are my favorite Disneyland travel ID products plus some ideas for keeping your children safe while there.
Q: During summer vacation to Disneyland, I am concerned with keeping my children safe. What do you suggest I do if they get lost?
A: As concerned parents, there are several things we can do to protect our children at Disneyland or on vacation.
1. Have each child (ages 0-18) wear a physical ID at all times.
2. Play the "What if ..." game with your children. If you ask my toddler, "What if Mommy gets lost?" (they never think they are lost) she will tell you, "Find another mommy, take off my shoe (or bracelet or scope) and ask the mommy to call you!"
3. Make a game of remembering what color each of you is wearing to Disneyland each day. If you are at a large group, wear matching T- shirts to help identify your group.
4. Have a plan: If we get separated, stay where you are, and Mommy will find you. If you are scared, ask another mommy to stay with you and call me.
5. Have a photo ID of each child in your wallet. In case of separation, you have a photo and description to help others looking for the child. Each adult with the group needs these.
6. Have multiple family contacts and telephone numbers in the glove box, in your purse, in backpacks, on shoe stickers, on strollers, etc. Add numbers for family members not traveling with you (grandma, sister, uncle, brother).
7. Every child and teen should carry an ID card with family contact numbers, cell phone numbers plus a medical release signature. Put it in their wallet, in their backpack and on their car seat and stroller.
8. Teach the child to drop to the ground and scream loudly, "He is not my daddy/mommy. HELP!" if someone tries to take them.
If your child has a hard time traveling bring along a favorite toy of lovie. That will make the vacation more pleasant for everyone. TAGGIES make a wonderful sensory blanket with little satin tags around the edge. Many children find this comforting while traveling.
Look below for some great safety product to protect your child on your next vacation.
Velcro Waterproof ID Bracelet $8 This is a strong durable bracelet that will last a long time. It has a small pocket inside and several small plastic tabs that slide inside. On the tab I write our cell phones, Disneyland hotel phone, home phone, and other contact information with a ink pen or extra fine point permanent marker. Fits children up to 95 pounds or so. More info on ID Velcro Bracelet
Disneyland ID Braeclet Vinyl ID Bracelet $5 This has 3 red vinyl strap child's ID bracelet with no writing on the outside. Attach the child ID bracelet to the child’s wrist, ankle or belt loops while at Disneyland. It is meant to come off easily to not injure a child who gets it stuck on something. These can usually be used 1-4 times. More information on Vinyl ID Bracelets.
Disneyland ID Shoe Tag $9 (2) BLUE Velcro banded Shoes ID tag, and free Child ID card. One size fits all: 2" long x 3/4" wide folded, 6" long x 3/4" wide unfolded. It is made of high-quality Velcro TM and a water resistant information label. Fits over laces, Velcro, boot loops and sandals while at Disneyland. More information on ID Shoe Tags
Disneyland ID Shoe Stickers $10 (20) Safe Shoes Child ID™ is a unique label which solves the problem of children carrying (not practical) or wearing (not safe) visible identification while at Disneyland. Each label has space for 5 phone numbers. Place them inside shoes, bike helmets, back packs, clothes, etc. I teach my kids that if Mommy is lost find another mommy and have them call me with the number in their shoe. More information on ID Shoe Stickers.
Disneyland ID Pocket Identitee™- Contact Card & Stick-on Pocket $5 This smart little pocket (3) holds key information to help lost kids and parents reunite quickly wherever they go. Just fill in the contact card, stick the pocket onto your child’s clothing, and seal the card inside. These are perfect for one day excursions to Disneyland. More information on Identitee ID Pockets.
Disneyland ID Scope- Childs ID Scope $14 At Last! A way to carry your child's confidential information in a nickel-size piece of jewelry! Just instant emergency information when you need it the most! Wear on neck, wrist shoe or coat zipper. Child protection for your family. Takes 3-4 weeks to get the personalized plug back for the scope so plan ahead before you go to Disneyland. Available for adults and pets too. More information of Childs ID Scopes.
See our many other safety and travel items for your special child. We offer back packs, sports packs, safety books, baby sling, adult safety products, pet safety products, TAGGIES, First Aid Kits and much more. We also have some combination packs of these items for even better pricing. Family Safety Products / Wholesale purchasing is available through our rep program.
More ARTICLES about business, parenting, adoption, homeschool and more by Kay Green! http://www.mypreciouskid.com/articles/ Articles written by Kay Green, Christian homeschool mom to Melissa 22, Jordan 19, Allison 17, Haley 4. Her and her husband of 25 years live in rural Oregon with their children. Kay owns My Precious Kid, Kay Green All rights reserved. Reprinting permissible with this author's box and copyright intact.